Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cookie of the (Last) Week: An attempt at the "Neiman Marcus" Cookie

There is this urban legend out there about a woman being charged $250 for a cookie recipe from Neiman Marcus. Of course, this is not true, but I have heard that the cookies were amazing nevertheless, most recently from Katie. I decided to take a stab at this recipe, but the directions were a little spotty, so I had to improvise a bit. I am not wildly impressed with the final results especially because I am pretty satisfied with my current chocolate chip cookie recipe, but they were decent, and you might be able to do something better with them. Also, here is the actual Neiman Marcus cookie recipe (just in case you were wondering) from the store itself.

Neiman Marcus Cookies
adapted from various websites

1 14/ c. oatmeal
1/2 c. butter (1 stick) softened
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 c. flour
1/4 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 Hershey bar, grated (I used the Special Dark one)
1 c. chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (my oven runs hot, so you may want a higher temp.). Measure oatmeal into a food processor and blend until fine. With a mixer, cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Add dry ingredients (including oatmeal) and mix until just combined. Mix in Hershey bar, nuts, and chocolate chips. Put scoops of dough onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Move off of cookie sheet onto a cooling rack about two minutes after they are out of the oven. Makes a little over 2 dozen cookies, depending on how big your scoops are.

Update: I took these cookies camping this past weekend with Jess and Andrew, and they loved them. I liked them better on the second try, and because they are pretty sturdy and packed with all kinds of stuff (oatmeal, chocolate, nuts), they were great for a camping trip.

4 comments:

lime said...

Hey, I just posted another variation of the Nieman-Marcus cookie on my blog yesterday, randomly checked your blog today, and realized we are on the same brain wave. I personally really liked the cookie, as did my family. Definitely packed with yummies and "hearty"--camping or not!

Spencer, Katie, Ezra & Luke said...

blair they really are delightful, i will have to check my recipe and see if it is the same. we miss you and think about the fact that you are literally on the other side of the country. isn't that crazy. we will have to plan a reunion, maybe for the arrival of your first child or something.

Spencer, Katie, Ezra & Luke said...

What the heck blair. Where are the recipe posts? Are you not a stay at home chef anymore? We miss you guys.

Spencer, Katie, Ezra & Luke said...

Oh yeah! I was also going to tell you about a delicious website, if you like to bake. They have delicious cakes and lemon bars and i don't know some other things too. It is www.joyofbaking.com. Give it a try!