Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cookie of the Week: Pecan-Chocolate Macaroons


Until last year sometime, the only type of macaroons I had ever heard of were of the coconut variety (you know, the sugary globs of sticky coconut --Moogie shapes them into hearts and dips one end into chocolate). Then, when I got addicted to food blogs, I found out about French macaroons. I don't remember where I heard about them, but it might have been here or here. In fact, the number one reason I want to go to Paris is to try this guy's macaroons, which are apparently life-changing (they better be, as he is charging 48 Euros for a box of 24!).

Fast forward to this morning: I had four egg whites left over from making ice cream last night (more about that later) and some chocolate ganache from Jessica's birthday cake. As macaroons are essentially meringues filled with ganache, I thought I would give them a shot. Well, it turns out that they are indeed actually pretty dang amazing. I NEVER expected them to be as good as they are. They completely melt in your mouth. Give them a try!

Pecan-Chocolate Macaroons:
adapted from Sunset Cookies

2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/3 c. pecans (I think you could use just about any unsalted nut)
1/3 c. granulated sugar
4 large egg whites
Chocolate ganache (see Jessica's cake recipe, or try your own)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grind the powdered sugar and pecans in a food processor until fine. In a medium pan, bring 2-3 inches of water to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Mix egg whites and granulated sugar in a metal mixing bowl and set over boiling water, whisking constantly until sugar dissolves and the mixture feels warm. With an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg white mixture into stiff peaks. Fold in pecan mixture gently. Spoon into a pastry bag and pipe two inch rounds onto two parchment or silpat lined cookie sheets (keep them about an inch apart). Bake for 15 minutes until tops are dry and shiny and edges are cracked (rotate pans halfway through if baking two at a time) Let them sit for about one and a half hours until completely cool. Sandwich two cookies together using ganache.

Notes: I wish I would have smoothed the cookies down a little after I piped them onto the sheet because they would stand a little easier when sandwiched. Also, a thicker ganache would have probably worked better. Other than that, no complaints!

1 comments:

Ms. Keller said...

Wow...these look great! Are they as big as they look in the photo? Seems they would be hard to fit into an average-sized mouth!!
xoxomoogie