Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fish Tacos

(picture from CookingLight.com)

I had these amazing fish tacos about a year and a half ago at my Aunt Katherine's house for Christmas. I craved them for over a year until I finally found the recipe again and started making them regularly. Tonight we had them with fruit salad in an attempt to channel some summer here in freezing/wet Portland (not so successful). But, despite the weather the tacos are SO good, and not too bad for you either!

Crema:
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine


2 T sliced green onions (add more or less depending on your taste)
2 T chopped fresh cilantro (add more or less depending on your taste)
1 1/2 T reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 1/2 T reduced-fat sour cream
zest and juice of one lime
1/4 t salt
1 garlic clove, minced

Combine ingredients and refrigerate until using.

Tacos (for two):
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine

1 t cumin
1 t coriander
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t ground red pepper (same thing as cayenne pepper)
1/8 t salt
1/8 t garlic powder
2 tilapia fillets (I use the frozen ones from Costco)
6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
shredded cabbage

Combine spices and coat both sides of the frozen fish. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Shred fish and place on heated corn tortilla with cabbage and crema.

2 comments:

Liz said...

OMG, this recipe changed my life!

Fish tacos are one of my very favorite meals and I have eaten them at many fine establishments in the US and elsewhere. But for some reason, making fish tacos sounded way too complicated for me, and I decided to leave it to the expert chefs.

When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to give it a shot, especially because Blair claimed it was easy.

We made them last night. And it WAS easy. And it tasted really really good. Like some chef made it, not me.

Sidenote: I bought the tilapia from costco, too, and it was awesome.

We're going to be eating this regularly in the Valdivieso home.

taylor said...

so... just like everyone else, I bought the tilapia from Costco last night and made these for the first time--they were SO delicious and really easy... I'm hooked! Thanks, Blair! (I also bought the ingredients to try the spicy chicken alfredo... I'll let you know how it turns out.)