Thursday, October 2, 2008

Biscuits and Gravy

A few nights ago we had biscuits and gravy for dinner. I feel like that is a little on the white-trash side, but for some reason I love/crave biscuits and gravy so I decided to give it a try! (By the way, Sam declared it "not white-trash" to eat this for dinner, so I feel a bit better.) I used turkey sasauge and it turned out really well actually. We'll definitely be having it again soon!

Biscuits
from Bride & Groom: First and Forever Cookbook

1 cup + 2 T flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t sugar
3/4 t salt
1 cup cream


Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Mix dry ingredients together, then mix in cream. If dough feels dry (it should be sticky) add more cream until it is the right consistency. Drop biscuits onto cookie sheet (there should be about 6) and bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden (be careful not to let the bottoms burn --it happens quickly!).

Gravy
adapted from various internet recipes

10 oz. turkey sausage (I used the italian variety)
2 T butter
2 T flour
salt and pepper
1 2/3 c milk


Cook turkey until no longer pink, then remove from pan to drain. In the same pan melt butter, then whisk in flour and salt and pepper. When that is smooth, slowly stir in milk, whisking constantly. When milk is well combined, bring mixture to a boil for 2 minutes, or until it is desired consistency. Stir turkey back in and serve over biscuits.


Note: I make these biscuits as often as I can think of an excuse to make them --they are SO good. If you want to jazz them up a bit (probably not to serve with the gravy) add a little extra flour, as much cheese as you want, and about a teaspoon of dried dill.

5 comments:

taylor said...

Hooray, you're back! I've been waiting for more recipes.

Spencer, Katie, Ezra & Luke said...

I am so bummed you got a job, we liked it better when you were the stay at home wife. But we are glad you are back. We loved the southern inspired biscuits and gravy! I actually made them tonight and they were delicious!

Jenny said...

Hi Blair! I found you through Erika's blog! Your recipes look so yummy, I can't wait to try some.

Mrs. Jensen said...

I decided to go with Gourmet Cooking, a magazine I really like. However, some of the ingredients are next to impossible to find. I hope you like it (it will take, like 4-6 weeks before you get it), and Happy Birthday once again.

Spencer, Katie, Ezra & Luke said...

Assuming you are on some sort of fast or cleanse????